Inviting someone into your home can be risky, but unless you’re a Super Handy Man (Woman!) you will need to hire a service contractor at some point and you’ll give need to give them access to your home and maybe even to your family. Ask our 7 Hiring Questions to start the process of identifying the right service contractor for you:
- How long have you been in business? It’s cheap and easy to get into many service-based businesses, but it takes skill and experience to stay. A minimum of two years is a great place to start, and ask for references who have used them for years, not months.
- Do you perform criminal background checks? It’s surprising how many companies don’t spend the time and money to run background checks. When it comes to security, there’s no excuse for cutting corners.
- Do you use sub-contractors? If they do, be sure that you are protected from any liability if something happens to a sub in your home and that the company is withholding all appropriate payroll taxes and paying their portion of the 941 taxes. It’s the law.
- Are you insured and bonded? Every reputable company carries general liability insurance and bonding for your protection.
- Do you offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee? What happens if you aren’t satisfied with the cleaning? Will they come to re-clean? Refund your money?
- What if something is broken in my home? Reputable companies have a breakage policy, usually written, and they have insurance to recover from mishaps.
- Is there a quality control system in place? Ask how the service will ensure quality and that quality does not decline over time.
Reputable service companies like Organize It are happy to answer questions like these because we want you to know who’s in your home and feel good about it.